Going for regular ultrasound scanning sessions during pregnancy is inevitable. Ultrasound scans can be classified into three types:
• 2D ultrasound: shows two-dimensional flat black and white images of the unborn child.
• 3D ultrasound: shows three-dimensional 2D images of the baby.
• 4D/Live ultrasound: displays live 3D images of the baby’s activities.
Not all clinics in Peterborough offer 3D or 4D ultrasound scans but some 4D baby scan clinics are surely present in the city. Usually, 4D scans are recommended by the medical professionals when 2D and 3D scans become unsuccessful in diagnosing certain birth defects or abnormalities. There’s also one more thing to add, many parents go for souvenir scans which imply scans that do not serve any medical or diagnostic purpose and is purely done for entertainment and collecting keepsakes. They should be strictly avoided because over-exposure to ultrasound scans can do more harm than good in spite of ultrasound scans being safe. Also, an ultrasound scan is a necessary diagnostic tool for the doctors to determine the overall health of your baby, simply going for unnecessary baby scans just to get Instagram worthy scan images is foolish and irresponsible behaviour from parents end.
Let’s now know what medical conditions 4D ultrasound scans can diagnose about your unborn baby:
- Facial deformities like cleft lip or cleft palate
- Defects in the spine (for instance spina bifida)
- Ovarian mass
- Anencephaly, non-existence of sizeable part of brain and skull
- Uterine fibroids
- Foetal Aneuploidy
- Accurate evaluation of embryonic movements
- Measurement of adequate amniotic fluid
- Determining the baby’s position and due date
- Ensuring sufficient placental blood circulation
- Subchorionic haemorrhage or haematoma.
On what conditions a 4D ultrasound baby scan makes its place on the pregnancy cards?
• During excessive bleeding or spotting and unusual pain
• Undetermined due date
• Medical history of miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies.
You can have a 4D ultrasound scan during 26 weeks to 32 weeks of your pregnancy. The procedure for 4D baby scan is the same as 2D or 3D ultrasound scans. The scan should last no longer than 15 minutes, it is always advisable for pregnant women to go to an ultrasound baby scan clinic that follows NHS guidelines. Many ultrasound baby scanning services in Peterborough will give you valuable baby scan offers that will provide some financial relief to your pocket.